Kyushu University and Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST), have signed a comprehensive corporation agreement to further develop and expand mutual collaboration in areas including research, education, technology, and entrepreneurship.
1. Date of signing: Monday, March 27, 2023
2. Areas of collaboration are as follows:
(1) Exchange of research staff, graduate students, and administrative staff;
(2) Collaborations in joint research activities and projects;
(3) Sharing of institutional publications and academic information;
(4) Mutual use of research facilities and equipment;
(5) Mutual use of academic materials and other information based on joint projects
(6) Joint conferences, symposia, and workshops on broad areas that have
the potential to create social impact;
(7) Links of university platforms fostering inclusive innovation ecosystem for Kyushu
and Okinawa regions; and
(8) Other academic exchanges to which both parties agree.
Kyushu University is one of Japan's leading research-oriented institutes of higher education since its founding in 1911. Home to around 19,000 students and 8,000 faculty and staff, Kyushu U's world-class research centers cover a wide range of study areas and research fields, from the humanities and arts to engineering and medical sciences. Its multiple campuses—including one of the largest in Japan—are located around Fukuoka City, a coastal metropolis on the southwestern Japanese island of Kyushu that is frequently ranked among the world's most livable cities and historically known as Japan's gateway to Asia. Through its Vision 2030, Kyushu U will 'Drive Social Change with Integrative Knowledge.' Its synergistic application of knowledge will encompass all of academia and solve issues in society while innovating new systems for a better future.
OIST was established in 2011 as an cross-disciplinary graduate university with a five-year doctoral program in science. Its world-class research environment attracts faculty, researchers, and graduate students from Japan and around the world producing internationally outstanding research results. OIST’s missions are to conduct research that bridges disciplines to explore new frontiers of scientific knowledge, educate a new generation of scientific leaders, and being a catalyst for an innovation hub in Okinawa.
With this partnership, Kyushu University and OIST are building a cooperative relationship that leverages each other’s strengths and characteristics to produce world-leading research results. Through mutual influence and the fusion between academic fields, they will work to solve issues impacting society. Furthermore, the two institutions will work together and contribute to the development of the Kyushu and Okinawa regions, and further the economic and social development of not only Japan but the world.